Overview of Kilim
A lot of people saw killim while searching for carpet on the web and they want to know what is wool kilim rug. Wool kilim, is a handcrafted wool rug, designed with colorful unique motifs that tell stories of their own. The ancient Turkish people use these rugs to reserve the happy and sad events that took place in their lives. The style of the kilim, for example, patterns and how thick are kilim rugs is clearly distinguished by the towns they are produced. The Turkish towns known for producing antique roses kilim rugs are Konya, Erzurum, Bayburt, and Karapina. Most of these washable kilim rugs are produced by the nomadic tribes in limited quantities for personal use.
After that, tourism boost has prompted many Turks to start their own carpet business. The shop owner is usually the sole worker who created all the rugs for sale in the shop. These rugs are rarely exported out to other countries. It is no wonder why many people ask what is wool kilim rug as they have never seen it before at the local store. Mostly, the rugs that claimed to be a kilim rug at the hypermarket are not made in Turkey but processed in a local factory to look like the authentic one. Turkey kilims are the most recognized. There are other countries that also produce kilims such as Romania, Bulgaria, Moldova, Serbia, India and Iran.
If you think you know what is kilim rug, then you must know that the kilim is not just a rug but it also has other uses. The way how kilim rugs are made depend on what they are use for. A kilim can become a decorative table runner or wall tapestry. The nomadic tribes have used washable kilim rugs with elaborate embroidered design as saddles for their horses. Kilim is strong and able to bear heavy weight so they can also be used as a saddle bag. It can also be set up to become the wall of the tents. You may be interested to know how thick are kilim rugs. The height of the pile of a kilim rug can range from 0.08 inch to 0.5 inches. Thicker kilim carpets tend to be more durable.
Homeowners who are interested in having a killim décor carpet should first get educated on the types of kilims available at the store. Depending on your taste, you may want a mosaic, flower or motifs kilim. Mosaic kilims, like the mosaic tiles, feature a design that primarily consist of geometric patterns. Geometric shapes like squares, triangles, rectangles or other shapes with sharp corner points are used throughout the design. Oversized mosaic kilim can really make a bold statement in a large room, adding a touch of traditional geometric folks style to the interior design. Many Mosaic kilim also have attractive fringes as additional embellishments.
Floral kilim is a good choice for those who like to decorate their house with flowers. Many affordable kilim rugs with floral theme have tall piles and can add a luxurious touch that is uplifting to the room atmosphere. Thick floral kilim is a cozy addition to the space in front of your fire place.
- Rose is a common type of flower featured on kilim. Usually, there will be dozens of different colors of rose blossoms in the rug design. Of course, red is the most common color for roses but you will also find roses in other colors such as yellow, pink, blue, purple and orange. Peacock is a favorite animal of the Turkish people and you can find many rose kilims that feature the peacock bird. The reason, as you can figure out, is that peacock has colorful plumage that makes it beautiful as the rose.
- Cultures that are well known for producing rose kilims are Karabagh / Moldova, Bohemian, Romanian and Bessarabian. The interlocking warp in a Karabagh / Moldova kilim is what gives the blurriness effect to the element detailing in the carpet. Rose is the predominant element. There are other less noticeable elements such as lilies and grapes that are often featured in the kilim. Karabagh / Moldova rose kilims are affordable kilim rugs that make a nice décor when you hang them as a tapestries on the wall.
- Bohemian rose kilim is rich in texture and its element detailing are closely knit together to fill up the space. It is common to find Bohemian rug with black background, bright vibrant color rose and leafs design. If you are looking for something plain and simple, the bright colored lined rugs may suit your taste.
- Bessarabian kilim was first introduced in the middle of the 19th century in Romania. It is remarkable for its 2D naturalistic western style design. Rose and other flowers are the main elements depicted in the design of a Bessarabian kilim. Floral carpet usually have a dark tone like black or brown in the background. If you compare Bessarabian kilim with Bohemian rug, you will find that it has a more free flowing design.
Motif kilim uses different types of motifs to tell a story. If you observe a motif kilim carefully, you will find that each of the motif plays a part in telling story. Elibeliden is a female motif that depicts motherhood or fertility. The Eye motif is used to protect against the evil eye. The wolf's mouth and scorpion motifs are used to offer protection for the family from dangers. There are plenty of nomadic Bohemian rugs and bessarabian rugs that feature motifs symbols. Many tourists who are interested to buy motif kilims would ask how much do kilim rugs cost. Cheap motif kilim do exist but you must know how to do research.
How Kilim is Made
Flat weave technique is the technique that traditional Turkish women use to produce kilim carpets. The weaving process involves using one hand to hold one fiber strand and the other hand to hold the second fiber strand. Then, the worker will meticulously weave the weft under the warp until the end of the strand. The warp used has a plain yellow color.
The weft is different than the warp as it forms the colorful pattern on the rug. Typically, several colors of wefts are used in order to create the desired pattern on the rug. When the weave reaches the point where there is color changes, she will loop the to the back.
What Material is Used
Wool is the premium material used in producing high quality an weft d affordable kilim rugs. Wool can absorb all types of color dyes quickly which makes it easy for creating design of any color. This type of material is available in abundance quantity in countries that make kilim. The wool is harvested from sheep such as merino sheep.
The hair of the horse mane and tail may be used to make the decorative tassels. The weaver can also add beads or other tiny trinkets to decorate the rug in any way she sees fit. The more material is used, the thicker the piles will be. Thicker piles can give a more cozy feeling when you are resting on the carpet. Thicker piles are also stronger and more durable although it will be harder to clean.
How Much Does a Kilim Cost
Wool kilims, even the cheapest you can get, will cost you around $ 100. However, it is hard to come by a rug that cheap. The majority of the rugs on sale have price tags in the range of $ 500 – $ 10,000.
- The complexity of the pattern is one factor that contributes to the cost of the kilim. Other important factors that influence the pricing are size, pile height, wool type, and wool quality.
- Many carpet sellers in Turkey now offer affordable kilim rugs online. Shopping for the kilims online may not necessarily save you money. It is also impossible to check the quality of the rug personally when you buy the kilim online.
- To buy cheap kilim rugs, it is recommended that you invest in a trip to Turkey. In Turkey, you will find many carpet stores selling kilim and then giving you a larger selection of designs to choose from. You will also be able to negotiate face to face with the seller and take home a quality kilim at a low price that you will never find anywhere.
- When negotiating, it is normal for the seller to say no to you. You must be patient and tell the seller other shops where you have been to and that they sell cheaper rugs than him. The seller will then be persuaded to reduce the price. If you are persistent in arguing with the seller, you will have saved a few hundred dollars on the carpet.
How to Clean a Kilim
Every time, when you are cleaning the house, you should also vacuum the kilim. Aside from that, the kilim rug needs to be washed once in a while. Hand wash is the safest method to clean the rug. Hand wash helps to preserve its lifespan. Soaking the kilim in water or dumping it into the washing machine is not recommended.
- Before you pour shampoo and scrub it, you must take a broom to sweep it. The right way to sweep it is to sweep starting from the corner. Slowly, your broom must cover the entire area, sweeping in all the dust into a dust pan.
- It is time to flip the carpet and sweep the under side once the upper side is clean. The procedure for sweeping the under side is the same as when you sweep the upper side. Before sweeping, always ensure that the surface where the rug is positioned is level with no bump on it. If there are bumps on the surface, the dirt will get worn inside the fiber during sweeping.
- After you have swept both sides, you can begin to scrub it with hand by using shampoo solution. Natural carpet shampoo or soap is best used to wash a kilim. The material of the kilim is delicate and the color can be washed away when you use a shampoo with aggressive chemical.
- The carpet shampoo can be improved by adding a little bit of vinegar. Vinegar helps to prevent color fading problem.
- The most important rule of scrubbing a kilim is to scrub from the corner. After wetting the scrub with the shampoo, work your way through the entire rug in either horizontal or vertical direction.
- When you are done scrubbing both sides, pour away the soapy solution in the pail and fill it with clean water. Now, you must flush away the soapy residues with the water in the pail. You can keep refilling the pail and flush as many times as needed until you see no more soapy residue.
- Once the rug is free from soapy residue, you can lay it out under the sun to dry. It may take several days to dry if it is a large carpet. The surface where you placed the carpet to dry must be flat to prevent color bleeding. Flipping every 6 hours is recommended to ensure both sides get equal amount of sunshine.
If you notice a stain, you can send it to a professional cleaner to have it removed before hand washing it. If you can not afford to send to a professional cleaner, you can attempt to spot clean yourself by pressing a wet sponge on the stain. You have to keep gently pressing on the stain with the sponge until all the stain have disappeared. Finally, you'll need a hair dryer to blow dry the area you'd just spot cleaned.
If there are some melted wax, just put a piece of blotting paper over it and press it with a hot iron. The wax will gradually disappear when you use an iron to press on it.